Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Seeing the light

One thing that struck me when we moved over here (here being WA goldfields) was the quality of the light. I don't think I can adequately describe it, so will just say that it is strong and vibrant and saturates everything. Sometimes it feels like a living thing, and the place positively glows in the half hour before the sun sets.  
I'm not a photographer, but I can imagine photographers in paroxysms of delight at it. 
Morning light hits the back yard.

One afternoon at the local tip.

OK, so not strictly the Goldfields (is actually just south of Geraldton),
but still WA.

Evening glory. 

The setting moon last week.

I maintain my previous home - tropical Queensland - has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. But those magical mountains and soaring rainforests meant things were pretty ordinary in the light department, blocking the sun as they do. So whatever trick of topography is at play here to deliver such rays was quite an eye opener.
Almost two years after first seeing the WA light (so to speak), I still marvel at it every morning and evening.

Some pictures of the region by actual photographers, which I found on the TrekEarth site: 

(Link: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Oceania/Australia/West/Western_Australia/Kalgoorlie/photo1035878.htm)

(Link: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Oceania/Australia/West/Western_Australia/Kalgoorlie/photo1018672.htm)

What bit of nature do you love about your home? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...